In Focus: The young men getting hooked on steroids
Doing so in the morning and at night can help you avoid an infection. Addiction specialists can help with the parts related to your needs and help you understand what your treatment may require. If you’re ready to take the next step but have many questions, don’t be discouraged.
- Research has discovered that some steroid users turn to additional drugs, to reduce sleep problems and irritability caused by steroids This raises their risk of overdose.
- In women, an enlarged clitoris, increased body and facial hair, breast reduction, irregular or no periods and infertility are possible side effects.
- As discussed above, anabolic steroids can be injected or taken orally.
- Here at Action Rehab, we are experienced in supporting people who are addicted to steroids.
- In a culture that seeks instant satisfaction, people try to find shortcuts to success, particularly in areas relating to health, wellness and beauty.
- Corticosteroids are legal and available on prescription from a doctor whereas anabolic steroids are illegal in the UK, but are frequently used as performance-enhancing drugs to boost muscle growth.
In pretty much the same way, steroids can affect how one perceives the effects of other drugs. At Delamere wellness retreat in the heart of Cheshire, we are experts at treating all kinds of drug addiction and can offer the support you need. Our holistic therapists can help you understand the psychological reasons for your steroid addiction and develop coping strategies to reduce your reliance on drugs while building your self-esteem.
Treatment for steroid addiction
That’s why you’ll often find men and women who abuse steroids rapidly gain weight or muscle mass, develop larger breasts, more facial hair, and a deeper voice. When taken to increase muscle mass and improve athletic performance without medical advice, they can be addictive and have serious side-effects. At a more granular level, being addicted to steroids can cause a range of health complications.
- ‘I know lads that will never take steroids again, but now they have to take viagra every time.
- There is a widespread belief that pyramiding enhances the overall effects of these drugs although, once again, more scientific studies need to be done to confirm the authenticity of this notion.
- Steroid detoxification is the process of the drug leaving the body, usually through professional means, and it’s the first step towards steroid addiction recovery.
- The penalty is an unlimited fine, or even a prison sentence of up to 14 years.
- Effective steroid treatment can help to manage the withdrawal process, and prevent relapse.
Your doctor will usually recommend a tapering method as part of your detox, especially when you’ve become addicted to using extremely high doses of steroids. Steroid detoxification is the process of the drug leaving the body, usually through professional means, and it’s the first step towards steroid addiction recovery. A detox facility can help you communicate with addiction treatment specialists, who can administer medication to manage withdrawal symptoms and reduce different stressors.
Physical Symptoms of Steroid Withdrawal
Steroid withdrawal can last from a few months to a year or more after quitting use. Symptoms like major depression can linger for over a year, is steroids legal while hypogonadism can be resolved within a few weeks. Even though you’ll have a strong urge to scratch, it is better to do so with care.
Steroid Withdrawal Symptoms
Steroid withdrawal causes a variety of physical symptoms that can manifest when you stop taking the drug. Low blood pressure can occur when you stop taking steroids, and, when it becomes severe, it can lead to dizziness and fainting. During steroid withdrawal, careful monitoring is important because of the potential for suicidal behaviour. If you have a history of depression, you should consider entering inpatient treatment, where caregivers can prescribe medications to help you cope with the withdrawal symptoms.
Who Is Using Anabolic Steroids?
If quickly recognised and treated, the prognosis for steroid withdrawal is generally good. However, without early identification and treatment, further abnormalities may occur, such as electrolyte abnormalities and dehydration. If you are addicted to anabolic steroids, chances are high that you will experience withdrawal effects if you suddenly stop taking them. Additionally, there are several physical conditions and side effects that some people complain of and suffer from when they’re using anabolic steroids.
Anabolic Steroids Withdrawal Symptoms
Rather than the myth regarding manhood size, steroids work to change your levels of testosterone. Too much or too little of this, and you might experience erectile dysfunction. Testosterone also impacts your sex drive, so it can be incredibly frustrating.
Men who suffer from body dysmorphic syndrome will often be obsessively checking their appearance in the mirror, comparing themselves with others, excessively grooming and working out in the gym. ‘It’s like any addiction, alcohol, drugs – you’re always in recovery, constantly, for the rest of your life,’ he admits. Corticosteroids are commonly used to reduce inflammation in the body.